Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dark Era 11

I took a deep breath. I opened the classroom door a crack, and it creaked. Loudly. Mrs. Tillman looked up from the papers she was grading, and smiled slightly. 'Hello...Faith right?' I nodded, I didn't dare say anything. I walked up to her desk and put the portfolio down. 'I thought you might like to look at these...' I trailed off.

I started towards the door and opened it. 'Faith?', Mrs. Tillman asked quietly, 'Did you do these?' I closed the door and said, 'Yea.' 'These are very good. Would you mind making a few oil paintings for the art competition?' My heart stopped and a huge smile broke onto my face. 'Sure! That'd be great!' 'I'll pass you the information for the art competition tomorrow.' I nodded and headed towards the door again. 'Faith?' I turned, 'Yes, Mrs. Tillman?' 'Some of your old sketches were...not very good. How did you suddenly get so.....good?' I just smiled at her and shrugged. 'I dunno. I guess what I showed you wasn't my best work.' I walked out of the classroom jumping up and down inside.

I ran into Katie while heading to English. 'Hey! You'll never guess what! I got into the art competition!' I said excitedly. 'What?! That's great! What made Mrs. Tillman change her mind?' I dropped my voice to a whisper, 'I showed her the sketches from the garden patch.' 'Oh Faith! You were an amazing artist in the first place! I have no idea why Mrs. Tillman didn't give you a chance the minute she saw your work!' Katie was really excited now. 'Well Mrs. Tillman didn't see any emotion or soul in my work...I'm just guessing though. And when I see some of my older sketches. I guess it's true, there wasn't anything much in it.' Katie looked still looked happy but she was staring at me funny. 'What? Why are you staring at me like that?' I asked, a little freaked out. 'Oh, nothing. Would you like to go to church with me on Saturday?' She asked. 'Um...I dunno. But I gotta get to class.' I hurried away.

I did wanna see what Katie's church was like. She was always saying how fun and cool it was. But...maybe...I shouldn't. It'd be weird. I wouldn't even know anyone there! It'd be weird. But...maybe. Just maybe.

Labels: